Remember those tasty, squared little focaccia samwiches from my focaccia bread post?
If you are entertaining at home this weekend, these mini samwiches (I love calling it a “samwich”) are something that you will want to serve. They are crunchy, creamy and delicious.
Serve them at your next party, or you can just stick them in your lunch box; they are great any way that you want to enjoy them.
You will need:
- 1 homemade focaccia bread, cut up into squares
- Red Peppers, 1 per sandwich (my bread recipe should yield 8 to 10 sandwiches)
- baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
- Herbed goat cheese spread
For the goat cheese you will need:
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package (3 oz.) of goat cheese
- Make the focaccia bread first.
For the Peppers:
- To roast the peppers, preheat the broiler and line a sheet pan with parchment paper, or grease it lightly.
- Cut peppers in half, lengthwise, and remove the seeds and stems.
- Place peppers cut side down on the sheet pan.
- Broil for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Place the peppers in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Peel when cooled.
For the Herbed Goat Cheese Spread:
- In a small bowl combine all of the ingredients except for the goat cheese, mix well.
- Coat the goat cheese with the mixture, press the mixture into the cheese with a fork and combine well.
- Cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. If you have the time, prepare this a day ahead; the longer it sits, the better it tastes.
Assembling the Sandwiches:
- Spread the herbed goat cheese on two squared slices of focaccia.
- Layer the portobello mushrooms on one slice, then follow up with the roasted pepper.
- Cover with a slice of focaccia, and serve.